Saturday 23 February 2013

1/48 Revell Ventura Part VI - Weathering

The RNZAF Venturas were very heavily weathered and I wanted to try and depict this.

I've also been reading a few armour modelling mags and I tried to incorporate some those techniques on the Ventura.

After applying a layer of Testors Flat coat (not Dullcoate) . This is first time I've used this and whilst it flattened down nicely it took a couple fo days to dry. Unlike dullcoate which I find dries to the touch in about 5 minutes

I started with a filter of a blue and then some oil dot filters to try and get some tonal variation on the wings in particular. I wasn't particularly successful, and I'm not sure why. Perhaps I didn't leave the enamels and oils long enough to dry, or perhaps the flat coat wasn't flat enough for the oils and enamels to stick. I did use the sponge technique for the chipping on the wing roots. I noticed this chipping on a image of a Ventura  taken from for aircraft flying above.

Losing interest in this I sealed results with Dullcoate this time and returned to my usual weathering methods using ground up pastel chalks. These were applied to the model and rubbed in with a brush and my fingers.  Once happy I sealed them again with dullcoate.

The next step, and the one I fear the most, was removing the masks from the clear parts. For once I'd applied the masks well enough to protect the clear parts

Anyway, enough crapping on here are the pictures













Now onto the remaining 20% of the build -  which seems to take 80% of the time.

No comments :

Post a Comment